Dorset Police – Calls to 101 and 999

A large percentage of calls received by Dorset Police are for other agencies and not a matter for the police. Please ensure you are contacting the most appropriate agency to assist you with your enquiry.

You should contact your local council with issues such as:

Roads and transport

  • Report a road issue
  • Live travel alerts
  • Parking issues
  • Driveway obstructions

Recycling and rubbish

  • Bin collections
  • Recycling
  • Litter
  • Dog fouling

Planning and housing

  • Street lighting

Leisure and culture

  • Parks

Environmental Health

  • Noise complaints including parties
  • Pest control
  • Lost/found animals
  • Fly tipping
  • Bonfires and fireworks
  • Trading standards

Do you need the police? Please, think before you call 101.


Do It Online is a contact portal that can be found on the front page of the Police website Here you can select the service most appropriate to your enquiry and complete the form as directed. Please give as much information as you can to help them answer your enquiry.

The Do It Online function enables you to make enquiries without the need of calling 101, therefore saving your time and any unnecessary expense.

  • Report a crime or Incident – If you have something to report, which isn’t happening now, please use this form
  • Request a call back – You can ask them to give you a call back at a time that suits you by going to this section of the website
  • Message for an Officer – If you would like to leave a message for a specific employee you can do so online
  • Make a complaint – If you wish to make a complaint or leave feedback for them you can do so using the new Complaints or other Feedback form
  • Freedom of information – Would you like to obtain some information under the Freedom of Information Act? Please visit this section of the website
  • Compliments & feedback – You can use this section, to provide them with comments, compliments and suggestions about the service they provide
  • General enquiry – You can make a general enquiry quickly and easily without the need to call 101 and wait in a queue.
  • Email us – You can send an email to
  • Call us – If you cannot use the online services, call 101 for non-emergency issues
  • Finally, remember: in an emergency, dial 999

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.